A 2’x2′ walnut tray for use on our living room upholstered ottoman. Ended up ripping a 1″ thick plank in half to make the slats. Super happy with the result! Unfortunately I didn’t snap a photo of the fixture used to glue the herringbone itself (it involved lots of clamps).
Update: So v1 warped like crazy… our low humidity probably didn’t help, but I should probably do some more reading on construction tech.
A couple shots of a walnut fidget spinner I made for Melissa’s birthday. The body and holders are made from a leftover end of a 12″x1″ walnut plank and are finished with BLO. The weights are tungsten, made for pinewood derby boxcars. The bearings, axle, and axle retainers are 304 stainless steel. All parts are press-fit (i.e. no glue required).
I admit the body took a couple of tries to get right. The secret ended up being to bore the holes for the weights and bearings out to their final diameter (21mm) before turning the body down to size and milling to shape by hand. FreeCAD again FTW. I included a photo of the drill press “farmers lathe”. If I end up doing more wood projects, I’ll look into a proper lathe.